Art Retreats & Classes
Create, work in the art studio, daydream, make art in your suite, read, paint by the water, wander, explore!
We offer a week-long art retreat (read more below), or you can add on a mini-retreat package to your stay!
Mini Art Retreat Add-on!
$200 per peron
-Use of our art studio with a designated space just for you to use for two days, any time from 10-5.
-Map of Freeport Galleries
- optional private mico-mosaic jewelry art class (this is a 2 hour class)
Available April- October
Must be 18 to participate
To add this on to your stay, simply add it on to your reservation when you get to our reservation page!
Art Retreats at Porters Landing
... where you not only can feed your creative spirit, but where you also have permission to do nothing at all, and do it well.
We are absolutely delighted to be able to share Porters Landing Guest House with artists from all over the world. Artists apply to stay for one week in one of our suites, at a reduced cost, and share Amanda's (the artist-owner) 670 square foot art studio.
If you have additional questions, you can contact us through the form at the bottom of the page.
Click the button below if you have no further questions and you would like to apply now!
2024 Dates for week-long Art Retreats!
When You Apply, please let us know if you would like to stay in the schooner suite or Merchant's Quarters, and if you are applying solo or with another artist.
June 16-22, 2024 (Fully reserved)
August 2-9, 2024 * (Schooner Suite is Reserved, Merchants Quarters is available for one or two artists traveling together)
September 6-13, 2024 * (Fully reserved)
*These dates coincide with town-wide art fairs happening in Freeport
"My retreat at Porter's Landing Guesthouse was a wonderful experience. Inspiration was everywhere, from the garden, to the Porter's Landing waterfront, to the town of Freeport, to the art studio! It's the perfect place to create and take a creative breath." -Vanessa, Massachusetts
"I don't think that I can even explain what this week has mean to me. I spent my days gathering inspiration from the beautiful coast of Maine & working in the art studio, and my evenings looking through art books by the fire in my suite. It was dreamy, and I leave with a renewed creative spirit. This week has been priceless!" - Terry, California
"Porter's Landing Art Retreat is a wonderful, cozy, and comfortable retreat. Amanda is the most gracious and welcoming hostess, and will point you to the most incredible sites in the area for some great inspiration, and with a space in the beautiful art studio for you to work! I can't wait to return!" - Linda, New York
One portion of the property is home to the Guest House's owner/resident artist, Amanda Edwards. She will be your host during your stay, and you will find her working in the art studio most days. We absolutely respect the privacy of visiting artists and guests, and try to balance giving you the privacy that you crave and at the same time stay available for anything that you may need during your stay.
You will be exactly 1 mile from downtown Freeport and all of its galleries, shopping, cafes, restaurants, and activities, and just a 3 minute stroll to the tidal Harraseeket River, which opens up into Casco Bay.In addition to a wonderful downtown, Freeport is loaded with nature trails, secret coves, farms, and artistic inspiration at every corner!
Please note: We are smoke-free! There is no smoking anywhere in the building or on the property.
The shared art studio & gallery, where you will have a workspace for the duration of your retreat! The studio is open daily from 7 AM until 10PM for artists, but we ask that quiet time in the studio be respected after 8 PM, due to the proximity of neighbors. The studio is open to the public, so feel free to bring business cards. During your week, you are free to sell any of your creations as well!
Prices for Art Retreats
You can stay in either the Merchant's Quarters, or the Schooner Suite.
Seven nights as a solo artist, $1200
You may apply with an additional artist, but you both must complete the application. Two artists can share the Merchant's Quarters Suite. Seven nights for two artists applying together & sharing a room: $1500.
*** Prices for the art retreat are at a reduced rate from a typical stay in one of our suites! Please note that breakfast is not included for the week-long retreats, but you can add it on if you would like! Our goal is to make this an affordable coastal Maine getaway for artists looking to gather creative energy, find new inspiration, work on a project, or just enjoy creative time outside of your normal surroundings.
Your suite has everything you need for your stay!
- Schooner & Merchants Suites each have a Queen-sized bedroom with ample closet space, and the Merchant's Suite has an additional twin bed in the living room.
- Both suites have their own living rooms
- All sheets, blankets, and towels, and toiletries
- free Wi-Fi
- A kitchen area that includes everything but the oven! There is a toaster, coffee maker, tea kettle, microwave, sink, all dishes and silverware, beautiful tea service, rice & pasta cooker, indoor griddle/grill, small refrigerator, and some of the essentials (spices, coffee, tea, basic cooking utensils, etc.). We are a little less than 1 mile from a fantastic local grocery store.
- Free Parking
- All non-smoking, all the time!
Included in your retreat!
The following are included, but completely optional! This is your retreat, and you can do as much or as little as you please.
- Full use of the shared studio. Amanda will be in the studio many days, and the studio is sometimes open to the public to visit.
- Pick up and Drop off (at the time and day of your choosing) at the Freeport train station, if you would like to take the train to Boston for the day!
- A itinerary for a great art day in Portland Maine! Visit Portland's waterfront, galleries, boutiques, the Portland Art Museum, Maine College of Art exhibits, or the beautiful Victoria Mansion. Includes drop off and pick up in the heart of downtown Portland if you do not have a car, or you don't want to worry about parking (just a 20 minute drive from your retreat!).
- You will be welcome to join Amanda on a number of sketching excursions to some of her favorite locations to gather inspiration: Bailey Island, the Maine Botanical Gardens, and Portland Headlight, to name just a few.
Extras that you can add on to your stay!
A private mosaic class, includes all materials, and 6 hours of instruction over two days (day one, 4 hours, day two, 2 hours). $275 per person
Breakfast: $12 per day. Breakfast is not included in your retreat. This is one way that the cost is kept down for artists! However, you can add breakfast to your retreat for one day or all of them!
A boat trip to Eagle Island for a few hours of sketching and inspiration, weather permitting. $54 per person
You can rent a kayak to explore the Harraseeket and Casco Bay.
Private Wet-felting Class with Amanda. includes all materials, and 3 hours of instruction. Learn the ancient art of wet felting, and let your creativity flow! This is a wonderful, relaxing art form. $80 per person
Please head to Visit Freeport to see more about our amazing town, and all that is happening during your selected dates.
If you have additional questions, use the form below to contact us! If you're ready to apply, click the button below.